[Hugs-users] Network.CGI missing in Hugs

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Sun Jan 7 13:10:25 EST 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 19:03 , Ian Lynagh wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 06:14:31PM +0100, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 2007, at 18:04 , Ross Paterson wrote:
>>>
>>> 	instance (MonadTrans t, MonadCGI m, Monad (t m)) => MonadCGI (t m)
>>
>> I added that instance reluctantly, but it is quite useful when you
>> write your own monad transformers and want to wrap CGIT. Removing it
>> would break some existing code (Hope is the only one I know of),
>
> Some of my code needs it too (I think I might have requested it be
> added
> in the first place?). I find it very useful to be able to write
> code in
> the style shown in
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-January/021085.html
>
> Hugs compatibility is also important, though, and undecidable
> instances
> are marked "probably no" for Haskell'.
>
> It feels like a bit of a sledgehammer, but maybe the instance
> should be
> put in its own package cgi-undecidable or something?

Yes, you were the one who requested it in the first place. It was
initially in a separate module. As far as I recall, I only moved it
to Network.CGI.Monad to avoid it being an orphan instance. This isn't
really important I guess. I would be ok with moving it somewhere
else. A separate package would probably be the cleanest, since it
would allow applications to declare that they need it.

/Björn