[jhc] Grin.

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sun Dec 7 05:26:54 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 08:23:48AM +0100, Lemmih wrote:
> I've been looking at some grin output and it seems that tags have been
> dropped in favour of indirect calls. That is, 'eval' now does an
> indirect call instead of inspecting the node tag. Is there a reason
> for this?

There were a couple reasons that functionality was added, Mainly it came
down to flexibility of implementation. It provides a straightforward
path for separate compilation. It is not intended that indirect calls be
used always for evaluation, it just provides a universal fall-back case
when direct execution is not appropriate for various reasons. Although
jhc is a whole program optimizer, some support for separate compilation
would be very convinient, if nothing else it will be needed for dynamic
code loading at run-time. Another reason had to do with the points-to
analysis, I found myself "chasing my tail" a lot of the time, in the
face of features such as arbitrary impredicativity and GADTs, it became
harder and harder to ensure the points-to analysis would produce an
accurate and useful result in all possible cases, being able to fall
back on an indirect evaluation in those cases simplified things
dramatically. improving the front end, and improving the accuracy of the
point-to analysis could be decoupled and no longer had to be done in
lock-step. The dynamic nature of haskell programs also played a part,
when looking at a histogram of the number of targets a given heap
location could evaluate to it was very tail-heavy, I found that by far,
exactly 1 was the most common possibility. Furthermore, after a point,
the size of the jump table in the cache killed the advantage of the
direct call over an indirect one. So all in all, it made sense to
concentrate on a couple cases, the direct case, when you can reduce the
number of possibilities to just a couple choices, and the fallback case
where an indirect call is used. Note that where the "sweet spot" lies
for optimal performance in terms of direct vs indirect execution is
rather CPU architecture dependent.

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/threading/

contains some test code for testing various threading methods in a forth
implementation, which is somewhat relevant at least in demonstrating how
different CPUs behave.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈