[jhc] Atoms, Infos and unique ids.

Lemmih lemmih at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:13:10 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM, John Meacham <john at repetae.net> wrote:
>  If you want crazy obfuscated code in pursuit of performance, look at
>  ghc. at least I try to stay mostly haskell 98 (well, haskell-prime beta
>  is actually what I target). avoiding things like explicit unboxed types
>  and try to keep all strangeness encapsulated behind abstract types with
>  well defined interfaces. ghc lobs around Int#'s like candy :)

I wanna make a quick response to this segment because I actually feel
slightly insulted. I'm trying to get rid of a global mutable state and
some C code that segfaults if used incorrectly, and you're accusing me
of obfuscating the code? I'm proposing to associate names directly
with variables instead of using a magic pointer. It would be the
natural thing to do, completely valid Haskell98 code, and several
times faster than the current approach.
I feel you've made a serious accusation without the evidence to back it up. ):

--
Cheers,
 Lemmih