[jhc] install log, suggestions

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Aug 11 10:00:29 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 02:55:28PM +1000, Mark Wotton wrote:
> some quick notes on the experience of installing on shae's bladeserver
>
> - configure doesn't check for DrIFT (also check for other libs)

Well, the configure script is mainly for the benefit of the tarball,
which should not require DrIFT to compile and install (if it does,
that's a bug). If you are actually modifying the source/developing jhc,
then a few more tools (like DrIFT and happy) are required.

> - jhc/src/Doc doesn't exist in a clean install, I had to install a
> symlink from jhc/doc

Hmm... 'Doc' should be included in the tarball, if you are compiling
from the darcs repository then you need to pull in that repository
seperately.. it looks like the docs are wrong about where that needs to
be pulled in (http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/development.shtml), I'll
fix that.

> - jhc won't use multiple cores to build libs? might be a
> misunderstanding on my part.

Jhc itself currently won't do it on its own, but you can create a
suitable makefile and do 'make -j' which will utilize all your cores. My
recent patches are paving the way for native parallel support in jhc,
however a while ago someone tested it and found it didn't improve speed
that much, it could have been an issue with the GHC runtime though... I
would be interested in trying it again.

> also, I've been thinking about a continuous integration server, both for
> JHC and for other projects. Shae's volunteered his machine, and I'm happy
> to set up a continuous integration environment, but I wanted to make sure
> that I wasn't duplicating work - have you got one already?

I don't think so, what do you mean by a continuous integration server?
Like a buildbot style system?

        John