[jhc] where's the appropriate place to put regression tests for compile bugs?

Mark Wotton mwotton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:20:16 EDT 2009

On 25/08/2009, at 10:20 PM, John Meacham wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 04:19:10PM +1000, Mark Wotton wrote:
>> I've been having a bit of a poke about the regression tests, and
>> all the
>> tests seem to be for single Main files.
>> One of my test cases that fails is for compiling a separate module
>> - the
>> bug doesn't manifest if you change it to Main.
>> John, have you got a plan for expanding the test suite to cover this
>> sort of thing?
>
> I pretty much just add features to the regression driver as needed
> in an
> ad hoc way. Feel free to extend it.

Righto, I'll have a hack.

>> On another note, it'd be nice to have some basic integration/
>> functionality tests - ensure that a given jhc tree can build
>> something
>> using containers, for instance, or build a sensible dynamic library
>> (my
>> own personal bugbear). Have you thought about using one of the test
>> frameworks for Haskell? Or even one of the more generic Perl test
>> frameworks, given that regress.prl is in Perl already?
>
> I am not opposed to the idea of using a framework, but it would have
> have some substantial benefit to justify another dependency. If
> something isn't clearly superior I'd rather just extend my regression
> driver some. It has some nice features, like recognizing when things
> are
> killed by SIGINT, setting processor limits, checking compile and run
> status independently. But yeah, having it support more types of tests
> (like, does this compile) would be useful.

I understand your desire to remove dependencies, but given that those
most interested in running tests will be the developers, I'd argue
that an extra package is not a big deal if it can be easily installed
with CPAN or Cabal and isn't required for building and running jhc.

still, i'll see what I can do within the framework first.

mark