[jhc] trouble with jhc 0.7.1

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Aug 27 10:47:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:35:55AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> Actually, it appears that the .hl file isn't in gzipped format:
>
> $ zcat base-1.0.hl
>
> gzip: base-1.0.hl: not in gzip format
>
> Should it be? Or is zlib being used on parts of the file?

No, zlib is used to compress individual parts of the file independently.
that way I can load certain bits of data without having to parse through
everything before it. (like it can skip loading type checking
information for modules that arn't directly imported)

That is really strange. I am using the same haskell version of zlib as
you, I thought the gz format it compress/decompressed to was pretty
standard. What version of the C zlib library do you have? I have
version 1.2.3 on my machine I used to build the hl file.

        John