[jhc] trouble with jhc 0.7.1

David Roundy roundyd at physics.oregonstate.edu
Sat Aug 29 11:55:24 EDT 2009

Oddly enough, reinstalling zlib seems to have fixed it.  I guess what
happened was that when my hard drive died and I restored my home
directory from backup, on the reinstall I had a different version of
zlib, since I switched back to debian from ubuntu.  Who would have
guessed?  I wonder what the Haskell zlib package does that is so
sensitive to zlib version number? I'd be very surprised if they broke
ABI compatibility without changing the soname...

David

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:15 PM, John Meacham<john at repetae.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:41:02PM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
>> When I do 'rm *.hl' and make libs in the tarball directory, I get an error:
>>
>> The output follows, which is rather lengthy, but might help.  The
>> final error is once again:
>>
>> user error (Codec.Compression.Zlib: incompatible zlib version)
>
> I am not sure. that happens right when it makes the first zlip call to
> 'compress', so I think something must be wacky with your haskell zlib
> install. Since binary is not involved at that point.  perhaps you can
> try to erase and reinstall the zlib module? is it possible that when you
> built it it linked against a different zlib than it is finding at run
> time?
>
>        John
>
> --
> John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈ - http://notanumber.net/