[jhc] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: jhc 0.6.0 Haskell Compiler

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sun Mar 22 22:12:37 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:00:33AM -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
> john:
> > Hi, I am pleased to announce jhc 0.6.0, It has been a long time since an
> > official release, so there have been a lot of changes. Jhc is an
> > optimizing haskell compiler that focuses on creating fast and portable
> > code. Jhc is still mainly of interest to jhc hackers and developers than
> > the general haskell public, but it is starting to see use in embedded
> > development with haskell so I decided to make more public announcements
> > of major releases in the future.
> >

> Hey John,
>
> I get the following build error:
>
> /usr/bin/ghc  -fbang-patterns -O -ignore-package lang  -W -fno-warn-unused-matches  -fwarn-type-defaults -i -i./drift_processed -i./.  -i. -odir . -hidir . -package mtl  -package unix  -ignore-package lang -package utf8-string -package binary -package zlib -fallow-undecidable-instances  -fglasgow-exts -fallow-overlapping-instances --make Main.hs StringTable/StringTable_cbits.o  cbits/md5sum.o -o jhc
>
> on the commandline:
>     Warning: -fbang-patterns is deprecated: use -XBangPatterns or pragma {-# LANGUAGE BangPatterns#-} instead
>
> on the commandline:
>     Warning: -fallow-undecidable-instances is deprecated: use -XUndecidableInstances or pragma {-# LANGUAGE UndecidableInstances#-} instead
>
> on the commandline:
>     Warning: -fallow-overlapping-instances is deprecated: use -XOverlappingInstances or pragma {-# LANGUAGE OverlappingInstances#-} instead
>
> Util/Gen.hs:6:7:
>     Could not find module `Control.Monad.Identity':
>       it was found in multiple packages: transformers-0.1.1.0 mtl-1.1.0.2
> make[1]: *** [jhc] Error 1
>

> I *think* you have to -hide-all-packages then enable the ones you want one-by-one (check whatever
> commandline cabal emits here).

Hmm... what version of ghc are you using? I tested against ghc 6.8 since
that is all I have available on my machines so it is possible the bugs
are because you are using ghc 6.10. If the -hide-all-packages trick
works for 6.8 too then I will do that always.

I dropped 6.6 compatability at some point, but want to keep 6.8 in
addition to 6.10 since that is among other things what amazon ec2
instances come with (since they are based on fedora core 8).  Man. those
high CPU ec2 instances are great for plowing through regression tests.
:)

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈