[jhc] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: jhc 0.6.0 Haskell Compiler

Lyle Kopnicky lists at qseep.net
Mon Mar 23 12:57:57 EDT 2009

Those are impressive results. Typically on programming language benchmarks,
the speed of ghc-generated code fares well against C, sometimes
outperforming it, at best being 20x faster, at worst being 3x slower. Since
it already seems "fast enough", I'm astonished that jhc could make it even
faster.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ghc&lang2=gcc&box=1

Where ghc-generated code fares poorly against other languages is memory
usage. Has there been an effort in jhc to reduce the memory footprint of
generated code? How does it fare against ghc in this area?

Thanks,
Lyle