RE: [jhc] bugs/issues in jhc-0.7.6‏

Korcan Hussein korcan_h at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 9 06:07:43 EDT 2010

> Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 18:23:38 -0700
> From: john at repetae.net
> To: jhc at haskell.org
> Subject: Re: [jhc] bugs/issues in jhc-0.7.6‏
>
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:27:10AM +0000, Korcan Hussein wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I just wanted to report some bugs & issues with jhc using SDL
>> bindings (https://patch-tag.com/r/snk_kid) I've put links to the
>> original Haskell code and generated C (which was outputted from
>> compile-time error) at the end of this email.
>
> Thanks for the report! I'll look into these. One of the main thing jhc
> needs right now is people actually attempting to use it and reporting
> their experiences :)

I'm glad to hear it :) I really think this project is awesome and has huge potential.
I really wanted to submit bug fixes, I tried looking at jhc source but I wasn't sure where
to look at except for C.FromGrin, C.Generate but I still wasn't sure where to begin.
I have very little knowledge and no experience with PLT & compiler technology.

>> Next jhc crashed with the message:
>>
>> "jhc: internal error: evacuate: strange closure type 65350"
> yikes. that means it is hitting a ghc bug, actually ghc behaves
> strangely sometimes when pushed too far, so it is likely a resource bug
> in jhc that is triggering it.

I think I might be confusing things, the crash message isn't related to the previous
issue well maybe it is indirectly but the crash happened another time. It only happened
once.

By the way, when I was building jhc from source I noticed that while building the
libraries, compiling Data.Sequence started to consume lots of memory and took a
significant amount of time to finish before moving on.