[jhc] bracket_ issue and fix

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Jul 28 17:57:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 06:53:58AM +0000, Korcan Hussein wrote:
> Hello, I've been tyring to modify the Haskell SDL bindings from
> hackage to get it to work on jhc (people should not use Haskell
> extensions in binding libraries!!!) and I had a problem with a piece
> of code that was using bracket_ but I did find a solution, the error
> message was:

Cool! Yeah, it is quite annoying when people use extensions when they
have no reason too, many packages need only depend on haskell98 but for
wanting to use dots in the module names. Unfortunately, there was a
misguided push a bit back to 'de-portablize' much of hackage replacing
haskell98 dependencies with base to work around some dependency issue
hackage or cabal or something was dealing with. Control.Exception is a
common offender.

once I have full haskell 2010 support, I plan on disabling much of the
ghc-base extensions by default, providing them as an independent
ghc-base-compat library that won't be incuded by default. So, people can
still compile their non-portable stuff, they would just have to
be explicit about it. It would also allow me to separate out the stuff I
added because I think it is a good idea and needed for a compiler, and
things I added simply for ghc compatibility.

        John