[jhc] installing on windows via cygwin

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Feb 14 22:19:01 CET 2012

It will probably work, but may require some tweaks. I have not tried it but
in general there shouldn't be any platform specific stuff jhc depends on.
there may be some scattered calls to something from posix or unix that need
to be translated to some windows equivalant, if you find them, feel free to
submit a patch. I certainly want windows to be supported. In fact, it is
part of my regression tests, at least, compiling a windows binary via ghc on
a linux box and running it via wine is :)

It would be nice to somehow have regression tests for macs and BSDs too, but
I am not sure how to do that on my server easily. I can't run a VM on it as
it is a colocated VM itself in the first place...  hmm..

suggestions for the other platforms people have used jhc for also welcome, I
know iPhone, android, nintendo DS, google native client, and the nintendo
Wii  have all been done by people, but I am pretty sure I probably broke at
least some of them and didn't know it.

A restructuring of the rts/ code to be more maintainable and modular is in
progress. Unfortunately there is a slight speed hit if your compiler doesn't
support -fwhole-program and -flto. something I will have to mitigate
somehow.

   John