Glasgow mafia meeting at PLDI

Alastair David Reid reid@cs.utah.edu
24 Jun 2001 14:50:16 -0600

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak@knm.org.pl> writes:
> Wouldn't putting domain names in the root of the hierarchy be OK?
> The set of top-level domain names is very stable and there are no
> clashes.

There are an awful lot of them: one for each country in the world.  I
don't think there's a country called "Prelude" but there probably is
one with the domain name "IO".

I'm also not sure how stable they are. ICANN has been coming up with
all kinds of new proposals for top level domain names based on what
kind of business you are in.  I haven't paid much attention to the
details but there's quite a lot of them and the design seems to be
very open-ended.

(The whole ICANN effort is felt to be a bit pointless here in the US
because we all know that Macdonalds and other big corporations will go
out and reserve all names matching macdonalds.* whether it is a
sensible use like macdonalds.com or an irrelevant one like
macdonalds.tv or a completely inaccurate one like
macdonalds.food. :-))

--
Alastair Reid        reid@cs.utah.edu        http://www.cs.utah.edu/~reid/