Summary of progress

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 04:53:40 -0800

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 01:28:38PM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> >
> > Proposal 2b: adopt a "Std." namespace for libraries that
> >              are common to all implementations.
> >
> >   * There is little agreement here.  Simon M, Manuel, and
> >     others have expressed their doubts that it is workable.
> >     No-one has defended the idea except me.  But then Simon
> >     posted a hierarchy layout proposal in which "Haskell."
> >     seemed to take the role of "Std.".  So I'm a bit
> >     confused.  I'd like to see some more discussion about
> >     this.

Oh, here's another thought:  if we standardise the locations of as many
libraries as possible, then it becomes reasonable for a compiler to do
this:

	$ nhc foo.hs
	nhc: module `Foo' imports `Lang.Concurrent', which is a
      Haskell language extension not supported by this compiler.

	$ ghc bar.hs
	ghc: module `Bar' imports `Graphics.UI.Gtk' which is not
	installed. It may be obtained from "http://www.foo.bar.com".

Cheers,
	Simon