Graphics hierarchy

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:15:04 +0100

[ As suggested by The Grand Marshal of Libraries (tm), I'm moving a thread
  from the HOpenGL list to this one, widening its scope a bit. ]

The currently proposal for the Graphics hierarchy looks like this (IIRC):

   Graphics
      UI
      Drawing
      Format

I propose changing "Drawing" to "Rendering", because this a more common
term in computer graphics. But I'm no native speaker, so I'd like to hear
some comments on this.

Another problem is that in "real world" APIs the above subcategeories are
often mixed up a bit. Have a look at the following APIs resp. Haskell
libraries:

   Clean ObjectIO
   Direct3D
   FRAN
   FranTk
   Fudgets
   Functional Metapost
   GIFWriter
   GLUT
   GTK+
   Haven
   HGL
   Inventor
   MOTIF
   OpenGL
   Pan
   TclHaskell
   Win32
   X toolkit intrinsics
   Xaw
   Xlib
   Xmu

Where should we put them in the new hierarchy? Do we need more/other
subcategories?

Cheers,
   S.
--
Sven Panne    Fon: +49/89/99567000    Fax: +49/89/99567461
BetaResearch GmbH,    Betastr. 1,    D-85774 Unterfoehring