X11 libraries

Sven Panne Sven.Panne@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:13:55 +0200

Alastair Reid wrote:
 > [...] To me, the word 'Rendering' suggests that it can (only) do
 > output (drawing graphics) but HGL also does input (reading keyboard
 > and mouse events).  So I think Graphics.HGL is more accurate.
 >
 > But the same argument surely applies to OpenGL too (???) so maybe
 > I'm reading too much into 'Rendering'?

No, OpenGL is solely concerned about producing pixels, and GLUT only
handles the non-rendering stuff, so the distinction makes perfect
sense here. X11 is a different beast, so your hierarchy looks fine to
me.

Something completely different, but still X11-related: With the
current state of the FFI, I can't see an advantage in using GreenCard
for the X11 binding. All X11 constants are hardwired through the
protocol, and the FFI + its related libraries handle newtypes,
(un-)marshaling, error handling, etc. at least as nicely as GreenCard.
But on the other hand we already have the GC stuff for X11, but this
looks like the only advantage...

Cheers,
    S.