FW: First Attempt at Crypto Library

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:45:06 +1000

G'day all.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 08:21:59AM +0200, Ketil Z. Malde wrote:

> It handles binary data, surely?

Not in the same sense that Deflate does.  An arbitrary binary stream is
not, in general, JPEG-compressible.  You at least need a width & height
as metadata, plus a number of 3-byte triples equal to width*height.

> > I'm still not convinced that Codec.Image makes sense in isolation from
> > a representation of "images".  It's hard to see what you'd do with such
> > a library without some other image handling stuff.
>
> What do you mean - are you talking about a *module* Codec.Image as
> opposed to a directory (which is, AFAIK, the only suggestion
> previously on the table)?

No, I'm talking about a Codec.Image directory (as opposed to
something more like Image.Codec, which IMO makes far more sense).

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage