Libraries and hierarchies

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh@earth.li
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:40:03 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Simon Marlow wrote:

> There are issues about exactly what the programmer would have to do to
> make this happen: under the story I had in mind you would have to fiddle
> with a user-local package.conf file to change the mapping.  Perhaps
> command-line flags could be added to make this more convenient, though.

The advantage of command-line flags would be that a library author could
write their code to import Collections.Foo without any version specifier,
and then distribute it with a Makefile or whatever that made
Collections.Foo use the appropriate version number if there was a
compatibility issue. Then it would only need to be changed in one place as
the required version changed.

Cheers,

Ganesh