Endian mode and hPutBuf & hGetBuf

Adrian Hey ahey@iee.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:00:45 +0000

On Thursday 09 January 2003 11:19 am, Simon Marlow wrote:
> The trouble is, to do this properly we'd need to change the type of
> castIOUArray, so that it can get hold of the information it needs to
> rescale the bounds.  Currently we have
>
>   castIOUArray :: IOUArray ix a -> IO (IOUArray ix b)
>
> perhaps we'd need something like
>
>   castIOUArray :: (C a, C b) => IOUArray ix a -> IO (IOUArray ix b)
>
> where C is some new class that lets you get at the scaling factors for
> the types a and b.

Yes, this seems to be the real problem. To actually *do* anything sensible
castIOUArray has to know the size of the types. Doesn't the Storable
class give us this BTW?

> This might be overkill.  Alternatively, castIOUArray could take the new
> bounds as an argument, or we could have a way to replace the bounds of
> an IOUArray/STUArray (unsafeReplaceBoundsIOUArray?).  Comments?

Well I guess a simple hack would be to supply the size of the new type
in bytes as an additional argument. (I assume the current size can be
figured out from the current bounds and the No. of bytes allocated
for the array.)

But really, I think the function should be removed altogether because
even if we sort this problem out it's still not portable (the effect
of re-casting an array of Word32's as an array of Word8's will depend
on the native endian mode). I would say once it's an array of Word32's
it's always an array of Word32's.

The only reason I wanted to re-cast in the first place is to write it
to a file and the only function available demanded Word8's. That's
why I think separate put/get functions for Word16's, Word32's,
and Word64's are necessary. These functions should also require the
endian mode to be specified explicitly (either by name or with an
additional argument).

An alternative might be to keep something like castIOUArray and
demand that endian mode was specified explicitly there (and
if that wasn't the native mode castIOArray would have to do
the necessary juggling.)

Also, as a minor niggle, I think the names should reflect the type
of array in question. Something like hPutIOUArray instead of just
hPutArray.

My thoughts anyway. Perhaps this isn't the right way to go all.
To be honest, I'm pretty confused about the bewildering variety
of array's that seem to be available in Haskell/ghc and what you
can and can't do with the various options on offer :-)

Regards
--
Adrian Hey