Readline (was Re: state of ghc6 on sparc)

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:01:52 +0100

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> Hmm.  I'm highly dubious that this can be done portably enough to be
> worthwhile.  The only way to get information about the terminal is by
> consulting termcap or terminfo, otherwise you're just guessing.

I'm pretty sure that even termcap/terminfo does not contain the sort
of information we need.  There are just too many layers of environment
to worry about.

> Isn't this just a pile of bug reports waiting to happen?  Or a
> neverending maintenance headache?

Yes, I expect so.  But someone did have a plea that even some small
editing functionality would be better than nothing.  So in the spirit
of "worse is better"...

Regards,
    Malcolm