Advice on Library Interface

Hal Daume III hdaume@ISI.EDU
Wed, 7 May 2003 08:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Matthew,

I look forward to your library, and I'm not even a DSP guy :).

> 1.  Should the functions generate the necessary uniforms, or accept a
> list of uniforms?  In other words, shuld the signature be

I don't particularly have an opinion on this one.

> 2.  Should the functions accept mean and/or variance parameters, or
> should they generate unit normals?  For those who forget

I would be in favor of them taking mean and variance parameters.  If they
don't, everyone is going to end up wrapping them up anyway.  If you want,
perhaps have two versions, but I think it will be beneficial
(efficiency-wise) to not have to wrap.  If nothing else, provide variance.

 - Hal