Soliciting Comments on DSP Library

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 16:45:41 +0100

=20
> There are currently four libraries in the snapshot: DSP, Matrix, Poly,
> and Stat.  I would like to add these to the official namespace, and
> would like to know where they should live.

Would you like to submit a proposal - or does the library snapshot you
posted constitute a proposal?  Would anyone else interested in DSPs care
to comment on possible names for these libraries?

In the current hierarchy design we have:

  Numeric=20
     DSP
        FastFourierTransform
        Noise
        Oscillator

but given the size of your DSP library, perhaps moving it to the top
level would be justified?

The other question to ask is whether this is will be *the* DSP library,
or whether there are other competing designs.  If there are multiple
designs, then the pattern we usually follow is to do something similar
to the Text.PrettyPrint hierarchy, where we have
Text.PrettyPrint.HughesPJ, Text.PrettyPrint.Wadler and so on.

> Everything is GPL.  I don't really care one way or another about this,
> but there is some code that I don't claim copyright to, and=20
> some derived
> code that inherits the GPL.  In particular, MT19932.hs and=20
> Roots.hs have
> different copyright holders, and the original code was GPL.  FFT.hs,
> FFTHard.hs, and PFA.hs have some derived code, so they have to inherit
> the GPL.  I have to consult with the author, but IIRCookbook.lhs is a
> derived work, and I have a feeling that the license on this=20
> will be PD.

There is no problem with GPL code, but we must be careful with
dependencies.  Any code (library or otherwise) which depends on your
library will potentially be required to be GPL'd too, so the license
needs to be prominently displayed.

Cheers,
	Simon