sequences

ross at soi.city.ac.uk ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 14:02:09 EDT 2004

I've been arguing that sequences should be treated differently from
other data structures, since they can be handled by a Haskell 98 class,
and they exhibit greater variety, so the class is more useful.

One way to get there is to take Edison, remove the module-based
overloading and add default definitions to the class.  I don't think
default definitions are quite as useless as Chris suggests: often there
is a most common default; in some other cases there is a choice, but
you have a family of methods that will all decide the same way, so you
can delegate to one member of the family.  And defaults make it easier
to get started with a new instance.

To have something concrete to discuss, I've placed a structure based on
Edison at
docs: http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~ross/seq/
code: http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~ross/seq.tar.gz