DData

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 13 11:50:58 EDT 2004

> hello,
> irrespective of if DData is "the" data structure library
> (whatever that
> means),
> or simply another library, could we avoid adding it to the
> base package?
> it would be much nicer, if the base package was split into
> more components.
>
> and it would also be nice if i can go and download DData on its own,
> whenever there are bugfixes,
> or improvements, without needing to download GHC with it.
> i don't see any reason why DData should be part of "base".

A rough criteria for what should be in 'base' is: everything required by
Prelude.  I say only a rough criteria, because there are currently
plenty of libraries in base that aren't required by the Prelude, but are
there because splitting them off into a separate package would be
overkill.  (Also at one stage I was using a different criteria:
everything required to bootstrap GHC).

Cheers,
	Simon