[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Haskell XML Toolbox Version 4.00

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Thu Apr 15 21:55:02 EDT 2004

Further to my previous message:
   http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2004-April/002039.html

I realize that my previous testing didn't check that HTTP retrieval
actually works (as opposed to compiles).  I find that the HTTP module
shipped with HXml Toolbox does NOT work with Hugs under MS-Windows.  I
don't know why, but I do find that HXml Toolbox works fine with a version
of HTTP that Bjorn Bringert has been working on, in my case by editing file
'hparser/ProtocolHandlerHttpNative.hs':

[[
-- [GK] use version of HTTP prepared for hierarchical libraries,
--      that works on Windows.
import Network.HTTP             -- http modules
import Network.Browser
]]

I had to make a couple of modifications to the HTTP module relative to Bjorn's:
[[
-- ** Changes by Graham Klyne:
--      - export httpVersion
--      - use new URI module (similar to old, but uses revised URI datatype)
]]

I also found a bug in the compatibility interface function "authority" in
my URI module.   The working HTTP and URI code can be found here:
   http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/HaskellUtils/Network/

I also noticed, in passing, that HXml Toolbox does require a version of
Hugs that supports Char values greater than 255.  I have versions of the
20040109 Hugs distribution recompiled for Windows with this support (and
enlarged code space), which can be found at:
   http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/FatHugs.html

#g