broken links

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 9 12:29:45 EST 2004

On 09 December 2004 14:46, John Tromp wrote:

> Many library doc links with ".Base." in the path are broken,
> e.g. the IArray links on

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Data.Array.MA
rray.html
> that point to the nonexisting

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Data.Array.Ba
se.html

Thanks.  Data.Array.Base is a "hidden" module - we don't expose its
documentation, but unfortunately Haddock sometimes still generates links
to it, when it can't find anywhere better to link to.  This is a bug,
but unfortunately it's a pretty deep bug - Haddock would need to be able
to link to modules outside the imported scope of the current module,
which it currently can't do.

Fortunately there's often a workaround in the form of rearranging the
imports of a module to expose the correct linking destinations to
Haddock.  I'll do a sweep over the docs before we release GHC 6.4 and
make sure we don't have any dangling links of this kind.

Cheers,
	Simon