broken links

John Tromp John.Tromp at cwi.nl
Thu Dec 9 16:56:38 EST 2004

Simon Marlow wrote:

> Thanks.  Data.Array.Base is a "hidden" module - we don't expose its
> documentation, but unfortunately Haddock sometimes still generates links
> to it, when it can't find anywhere better to link to.  This is a bug,
> but unfortunately it's a pretty deep bug - Haddock would need to be able
> to link to modules outside the imported scope of the current module,
> which it currently can't do.
>
> Fortunately there's often a workaround in the form of rearranging the
> imports of a module to expose the correct linking destinations to
> Haddock.  I'll do a sweep over the docs before we release GHC 6.4 and
> make sure we don't have any dangling links of this kind.

Does Haddock create the webpages on demand or as a batchjob?
In the latter case one could run a script that goes over the webpages
and reports on all broken links, which can then be fixed either manually
or perhaps within the same script. I imagine that every class, type and
function is documented somewhere. At least that was the case for all
the broken links I ran into...

regards,
-John