new release of LIP prototype API

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 19 13:27:15 EST 2004

> I just uploaded a new release of the Library Infrastructure prototype
> API for Distribution.Package and the command-line utility
> "haskell-config".  The API for package configuration is included
> below, FYI.

The package API is much simpler, thanks.

I have an uneasy feeling about the scope of this project: it seems to be
tackling too much.  Perhaps my doubts are unfounded...

What's the purpose of the build_deps field in a PackageConfig?  This
seems to indicate that the PackageConfig has a lot more functionality
than I thought - to me, the PackageConfig contains the information that
a compiler needs to know in order to use a package at compile time
(similarly for an interpreter).  But the presence of build_deps seems to
indicate that it's much more than this: is it supposed to contain enough
information to be able to rebuild the package?  Is the system supposed
to be able to rebuild packages on demand?  Can it downlaod and build
dependencies if they aren't available?

If the answers to any these questions are yes, then I have the feeling
that a large can of worms has been opened.  Life is much simpler if the
answer to these questions is no ;-)

Cheers,
	Simon