[Haskell] regular expression syntax - perl ain't got nothin on haskell

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 25 10:06:09 EST 2004

[ moved to libraries at haskell.org ]

> Inspired by an idea by Andrew Pang and an old project of
> mine, I decided
> to fill out a reusable regular expression library which is similar to
> Perl's, but much more expressive.
>
> It provides regular and monadic versions, a very overloaded and useful
> interface, as well as extensibility. although currently the only
> instance  is based on Text.Regex, it generalizes to matching lists of
> arbitrary type, not just strings, and also leaves the door open for
> compile-time checked and optimized regular expressions via template
> Haskell.
>
> so, does this seem interesting? I am really enjoying the =~ syntax
> already in projects, and the monadic version is great for
> concise ad-hoc parsers.

This is neat.  We should provide (something like) this in Text.Regex
itself, although perhaps the more generic regular expression
functionality should go somewhere like Data.Regex?

In any case, I'd be happy to add something to Text.Regex if you settle
on something you're happy with and send it to the list for comments.

Cheers,
	Simon