Combinators for ReadP

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Jul 23 20:21:34 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 09:14:50AM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> ReadP would be much more useful if it had some introductory Haddock
> documentation too, including a reference to Koen Claessen's paper, if
> you felt up to doing that too.

And here I was, completly unaware space and time efficient monadic
parsers were even possible! :)

Any chance a couple of changes could be made to ReadP

1. let the type of tokens be an argument
2. give Fail a String argument and have it preserve the string passed to
'fail'.

I don't think either will adversly affect performance, yet will make it
possible to use ReadP as a simple standard (as in comes with the
libraries) very lightweight parsing monad without compromising its main
goal of implementing a faster Read.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈