hierarchical libraries documentation index

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Thu Jul 29 09:23:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 01:30:23PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 11:31, Ross Paterson wrote:
> > How about omitting the modules of the haskell98 package from the
> > Haskell Hierarchical Libraries documentation index?  They're not
> > particularly hierarchical, and they're documented elsewhere.
> > Having them in the doc index makes the docs look bad.
>
> Having a central place for documentation is rather nice, I use it as a
> reference all the time. If we don't want to put haddock documentation of
> the standard H98 libs here could we at least keep them and put a http
> link to where they are documented.
>
> That way if someone searches for a function name or some other part of
> the hierarchical libraries documentation makes reference to a standard
> function then the standard function will at least come up and at the top
> of the page it could have a link to where the function is documented.

There should certainly be a link to the Revised Report and FFI Addendum.
But if you look up unfoldr, say, you are referred to Data.List.unfoldr,
where the function is indeed documented.  So you're encouraged to
import Data.List instead of the old generation List.  No other part
of the hierarchical libraries documentation refers to modules in the
haskell98 package.  The only functions defined in the haskell98 package
are the obsolete versions of bracket and bracket_.