sequences

George Russell ger at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Fri Jun 18 11:12:50 EDT 2004

Christopher Okasaki (snipped):
 > For what it's worth, neither real-time nor bootstrapped queues really
 > make sense in Haskell.  The advantage of real-time queues is that,
 > in a (mostly) strict language, you get O(1) *worst-case* bounds instead
 > of amortized bounds, but in Haskell, because everything's lazy, you're
 > stuck with amortized bounds anyway.

I don't really see the point here.  If I am writing an application where
things need to respond to external interactions in guaranteed O(1) time,
then I am going to need real-time queues whether I am writing in Haskell or
FORTRAN.  The only difference laziness makes is that I may have to put in
strictness annotations to avoid the queue elements containing unbounded amounts
of computation.