[Haskell] RFC: DData in hierarchical libraries

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Thu Mar 11 12:30:29 EST 2004

JP Bernardy wrote:
> Could you be more specific about this?

Oops, shall I supply documentation text?

> Would you prefix the function name with unsafe? I
> wonder what is the best way to do such a marking.

No, I only suggest(ed) to change the documentation,
may to "unsafe coercions of ordered lists". (The
name "formDistinctAscList" is compelling enough)

>>Furthermore, already for
>>Set.fromList I expect it to be linear, if the input
>>list happens to be
>>ascending.
>
> I'm afraid it's not, unfortunately. I intend not to
> fiddle with the implementation, to avoid the involved
> instability.

Well, no problem, only my wrong assumption (and an argument to use
"unsafe" functions for efficiency), don't change the implementation.

> I'd choose "mapMonotonic", from Edison.

Maybe the infix (or suffix) "Asc" could uniformly indicate the unsafe
nature of a functions. So delete toAscList and have fromAscList and
mapAsc as unsafe versions of fromList and map resp. (forget Set.image)

Christian