[Haskell] Re: RFC: DData in hierarchical libraries

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Fri Mar 12 16:06:57 EST 2004

"Daan Leijen" <daanleijen at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Simon Marlow wrote:
>> 'insert map key x'

> So we can do supposedly common things like:
>   any (member s) xs
>   map (lookup m) ks

> the current design is nicer so I don't think we should get into
> long discussions about which partial application occurs more often
> unless we can back it up with data :-)

If you want a data point, I grepped quickly through my sources and
found a handful of "map (lookupFM fm) xs"-type constructs.

> more -- so if many others like it better too, I might be persuaded
> to adapt the implementation. However, this requires quite a bit of
> work, so I would like to leave this issue open for discussion for a
> while.

I've no really strong preference, but would vote for keeping the order
defined by the old FiniteMap and Set implementations, if for no other
reason than being more compatible.

-kzm