version control and LIP

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Mon Mar 15 01:15:46 EST 2004

Sven,

I certainly agree with you about new things and using it because it is
new or fancy.  I am working on a contract that is using Clearcase now,
and they have made something simple into something incredibly complex.
This choice was dictated by the customer (which is always a bad thing);
the customer then proceeded to pay for an inadequate number of
licenses.  I caught one of the people in my department with a
clandestine CVS installation (really, I'm not making this up).  I had to
make him disassemble it (which I'm also not making up).

The real question for something like Haskell, though, is this:  is the
number of cases where CVS/subversion is inadequate significant enough to
devote time to supporting alternatives.  I'm not convinced that the
answer is yes, but I'm willing to listen to anyone who can make a case
for it.

Seth