More on version management...

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Mar 22 14:53:15 EST 2004

[I've CCed the darcs list and (hopefully) set the reply-to header to
 just there. See http://www.abridgegame.org/mailman/listinfo/darcs-users
 for archives or subscribing.]

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:21:23PM +0000, Keith Wansbrough wrote:
> Shae writes:
>
> > From what I've seen on the mailing list, $Id and friends aren't likely, because
> > of the design of darcs.[3].
> >
> [..]
> > [3]http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-February/001089.html
>
> This is fatal - I use $Id$ all the time.  We have some very large
> specification documents that we control using CVS, and it is critical
> when we read them that we know what version they are.  We do the LaTeX
> equivalent of "set header to $Id$", and then all our documents are
> versioned.
>
> Having the version anywhere else but in the document itself would be
> wrong, because they could get out of sync.

I'm told $Id$ expands to something like:

$Id: Foo.hs,v 1.2 2003/03/04 03:22:34 myuser Exp $

OTTOMH I think the tuple
  (tagname (~= version), date of tag creation, e-mail address of tag creator)
is unique and, along with the filename, is essentially the same
information.

To get around the modification of source files problem in Shae's URL
perhaps "darcs flatten foo" or somesuch could be used to explicitly say
"I'm taking foo away to print now so please expand $Id$ in it". It could
complain if the current repo state isn't tagged (or prompt you for a
name to tag it with) or if foo has unrecorded changes.

Thanks
Ian