Instances for data types

S. Alexander Jacobson haskell at alexjacobson.com
Thu May 6 16:38:21 EDT 2004

Hmm.  The feature in this paper looks really
useful!  Right now I am working on log
writing/recovery code and running into the
difficulty/annoyance of wanting to override the
read/show methods for CalendarTime provided by the
Time library.  I don't want to have to write my
own Read/Show for all the various intervening
types that eventually contains CalendarTime!
(Note: Based on my cursory read, I don't think I
can use implicit parameters to solve this problem
so if there is a choice between one or the other,
I prefer named instances!)

I'm not sure, but it also looks like names
instances may give you the ability to declare Set
as an instance of Monad.  Yay! (apropos a prior
thread).

I can't tell whether it allows me to do the type
defaulting that would have been useful for the
DBMS code, but if it did, even better!

Another nice thing about named instances is that
it gets rid of the annoying lack of globality of
instance declarations.  For some reason it is ok
to do:

  import MyModule (hiding myFunc)
  import MyModule2 (myFunc)

But you can't do the same with instance
declarations.  Note: I don't know if this means
that myFunc means different things in different
places, but I don't see why instance declarations
should be treated differently.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson                  mailto:me at alexjacobson.com
tel:917-770-6565                       http://alexjacobson.com