AVL Trees available

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Fri May 21 15:10:06 EDT 2004

On Thursday 20 May 2004 11:45 am, Simon Marlow wrote:
> In the case of writing/pushing, the COrdering allows you to pass a
> composition of a comparison and a combining function around, which looks
> cleaner.  It's not obviously more efficient than passing the two
> functions around, because the actual comparisons will be going through
> an extra level of higher-order function

Only if those combinators are used, but they're not the only way of creating
combining comparisons. In fact I think it more likely that folk would write
their own rather than use ordinary comparisons+combinators, except perhaps in
the case of simple comparisons (typically those cases where deriving Ord
is likely to give a sane ordering and comparison algorithm).

> (except that you've INLINEd
> everything in sight, so the COrdering combinators probably disappear
>
> :-).

Have not :-) Those combinators are inlined because of their triviality
and the potential efficiency implications if not inlined. But if you look
at the rest of the code I think you'll find inlining has only been used
for similar reasons on trivial code or on more complex functions which are
used only once because they really part of an enormous pattern matching
exercise which has been broken into bits to make it more manageable.

Regards
--
Adrian Hey