Data.FiniteMap proposed addition, bug fix

Jean-Philippe Bernardy jeanphilippe.bernardy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 07:32:16 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:42:58 +0000, Graham Klyne <gk at ninebynine.org> wrote:

> I hadn't thought about that specifically, but I did think about other
> similar functions on Map values, and it raises questions of both utility
> and consistency.
>
> My suggestion comes from a specific and real requirement in some software
> I'm writing.  Because the actual type is abstract (hidden), I can't do it
> externally to the module, other than by using several function calls to
> extract, merge, delete and re-insert elements, which doesn't seem desirable.
>
> In this case, I decided to push for the particular function that I knew I
> wanted, and to not expend energy on other functions whose actual utility
> was uncertain.

That is sensible, yet you should consider my point of view as maintainer. ;)
I'd certainly welcome extension proposals, yet DData has gone through
a stabilization process in order to include it into the standard
hierachy. Therefore I find it unwise to make modifications to it right
before it gets "into production".

Cheers,
JP.