Cabal package description sytax

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sat Nov 27 09:04:00 EST 2004

I'm having problems understanding the Cabal package description syntax
(I can't find a formal spec), especially the use of quotes. Some field
values can be quoted, others can't, but I can't see any general principle
here. My problem in particular is that I want to use the values from
autoconf's AC_INIT (PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_VERSION, PACKAGE_BUGREPORT) for
some package fields (name, version, maintainer), but the former have double
quotes around them, while ghc-pkg either doesn't allow them (name, version)
or includes the quotes into the value (maintainer). IMHO this should be
more consistent and unified, and a possible solution would be that quotes
are handled like they are in shells, so "blah" and blah are the same.

Cheers,
    S.