Cabal feedback notes

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Fri Oct 22 13:35:37 EDT 2004

Hi Graham.  In brief...

Graham Klyne <gk at ninebynine.org> writes:

> It's not GHC that's the main problem, its the dependency on makefiles.
> But if I can use hscpp, that's less of a problem.

No, it's the dependency on GHC's ability to CPP.  I don't know if you
can use hscpp, I haven't tried.

> non-portable modules in Cabal, I can try and figure out what it takes
> to run them under Windows, and feed the details back to you.

AFAIK, there aren't any non-portable modules, after you've cpp'd them.
If there are, I'd like to know about it.

Just look at the makefile calls to ghc, I think it's pretty
straightforward:

 mkdir -p dist/tmp
 ghc --make -Wall -odir dist/tmp -hidir dist/tmp Setup -o setup

Then you can use ./setup configure, build, install, etc.

> Also, maybe, if you can point me to the code that invokes make, I'll
> see if I can figure a way to add a revectoring point there.

None of the Distribution.Simple invokes make.

peace,

  isaac