Wiki spame [ was: Building Haddock on Windows ]

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Fri Oct 29 03:39:21 EDT 2004

Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at aedion.de> schrieb am 29.10.04 08:44:28:
> That's
> exactly why I think that very open Wikis are doomed to death nowadays, given
> the criminal energy of spammers.

I don't think the problem is as serious as you make it look.  Any registered
wikizen can restore any page to a known good state with just two clicks
(info icon, then "restore").  Spammers use scripts these days on wikis,
and spam scripts seem to exist for only a few wiki engines at the moment.
I suspect they stop working if we make some small changes (like renaming
the "edit" action) to MoinMoin.  The proposed all-encompassing solution to
WikiSpam is to integrate a captcha into the edit page, which would keep
scripts out for good.  Some future version of MoinMoin will probably include
something like that.

In short, I think the hawiki is still quite useable and won't drown in
unhandled spam anytime soon.

Regards,

Udo.