Stop untracked dependencies! (was RE: mapping module identifiers toURLs (was RE: [Haskell] URLs in haskellmodule namespace))

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 1 04:56:46 EST 2005

On 31 March 2005 20:07, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:

> If I use multiple packages that export the same module identifier, I
> need a way to specify which one I want to use.  Haskell's existing
> packaging model doesn't let met do that easily.

That's because there are problems with doing so, as I mentioned in an
earlier message:

  http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/haskell/2005-March/015597.html

We don't allow programs to contain two modules with the same name, for
good reasons.

>>   - Cabal could download, build, and install dependencies without any
>>     user intervention.
>
> Download and build? Great!  Install? No thank you!

When I say "install" I don't necessarily mean "make it available by
default for all users on the current machine".  It might just mean "make
it available just for me, and only when I say -package P".  Or it might
mean something even more transient: just make it available for the
current compilation.

Cheers,
	Simon