exposed packages and cabal depends

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Fri Apr 8 17:24:17 EDT 2005

Simon,

The -hide-all-packages option would make sense only if there were real
flexibility in selecting which packages to use in implementing the
modules imported into your program.  However, in our discussions, you
you've defined two rules that eliminate this flexibility:

* you cannot use two different modules with the same module ID in the
   same program

* you cannot use two different packages with the same module ID in the
   same program

Together these constraints imply that packages should contain only
minimal sets of mutually interdependent modules; every additional
module included in a package restricts its usability.  So, if no two
packages should contain the same module name, one must therefore
conclude:

  Package Dependency Rule: The module names used in a program
  completely specify the packages required to interpret/compile it.

Abstractly, we can imagine a two column table with one column
containing unique module names and the other column containing package
locations (perhaps available from hackage).

With such a table, you eliminate untracked dependencies by hiding all
modules from a package any time the programmer uses any module name
from that package (you should also explicitly tell the user which
packages are being hidden and why).

If you are doing separate compilation, you should then be accumulating
lists of package that must be hidden at link time.  Is there a major
problem with doing this?

To be clear, my problem with -hide-all-packages is that it creates
much greater risk of getting out of sync with the global table.
Build-depends tags are actively bad because you cannot know the nth
degree dependencies of the packages you are using.  Correctness is
only with respect to the global table.

Yes, I am begging the question of how we construct and manage global
tables in a way that preserves free-packaging/decentralization.
(Perhaps it is with user specifiable hackage tables)  But, there is no
point in talking about solutions until we agree on the problems that
need to be solved.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com