Cabal Issues

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Thu Apr 14 10:57:40 EDT 2005

Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> writes:

> I've just started using Cabal, for my time library implementation
> (<http://semantic.org/TimeLib/>).

Cool!

> 1. If I do "runghc Setup.hs haddock" and then "runghc Setup.hs install",
> the documentation doesn't appear to get installed anywhere.
>
> 2. Likewise, "runghc Setup.hs clean" doesn't delete the documentation. I
> had expected it to delete the whole dist directory.

Hm. Sounds like a bug; the "haddock" command was added kinda late in
the game.  You can always implement a workaround in your Setup.lhs
file with UserHooks, but then you'd have to watch out for new versions
of cabal that fix this behavior.

> 3. There ought to be a mechanism for including tests. Something like
> "runghc Setup.hs check". Right now I have two tests that are executables
> that are run and the output compared to a reference output file (and
> another test that must be verified manually). But perhaps this is
> difficult.

I just pushed a fix to the CVS and darcs repos where if you run
./setup test, it'll execute the runTest function in UserHooks, which
can do whatever you want it to do.

Unfortunitely, I don't remember what the "bool" there is supposed to
be, and I had forgotten to add this command earlier, so something here
is definitely going to change before a release, but if you want to
start using this for convinience, go ahead :)

Also, should it be ./setup test? ./setup check?

peace,

  isaac