Binary IO

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 22 17:33:58 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 22:07 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > Personally, I doubt that Haskell will ever be practical for processing
> > very large amounts of data (e.g. larger than your system's RAM).
>
> I hope that's not true - whatever techniques you use in other languages
> for handling large amounts of data should translate straightforwardly
> into Haskell.

Though arn't there some issues with the fact that regular garbage
colection touches most of the heap (even if it doesn't modify it) and so
very little of it can be paged out of physical ram.

Of course we can use more heavyweight techniques like maintining
serialised data in large mmaped areas etc.

Duncan