Getting Cabal 1.1.1 working on Windows 98

Toby Allsopp toby at mi6.gen.nz
Tue Aug 9 05:48:29 EDT 2005

Krasimir Angelov <kr.angelov at gmail.com> writes:

> On 8/6/05, Toby Allsopp <toby at mi6.gen.nz> wrote:
>> How, it seems wrong to have to specify the A or W version explicitly
>> because there is a #define for it that depends on whther UNICODE is
>> defined.  I don't know why that's not being picked up (it's in
>> shldobj.h and I see that that's been specified in CVS, but adding it
>> makes no difference for me.)
>
> When the Haskell code is compiled via gcc then the compiler will
> automatically select A or W version but the native code generator in
> GHC doesn't know anything about all these defines in shldobj.h.

Ah, that kind of makes sense.  And, indeed, adding -fvia-C to the GHC
options in GNUmakefile allows it to build setup using "shlobj.h
SHGetFolderPath".  However, it still doesn't work when running
"./setup build", even when I added a line "ghc-options: -fvia-C" to
Cabal.cabal.

What I don't understand is how this is building for other people on
Windows.

Toby.