System.Time.Clock Design Issues

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Thu Feb 3 21:02:07 EST 2005

In article <4202D3B1.8060709 at cql.com>, Seth Kurtzberg <seth at cql.com>
wrote:

> I'll dig it up.  On Iridium we programmed in the leap seconds for the
> useful life of the vehicle, which is about five years.  It is guaranteed
> to be accurate, but in the case that we used it there was an extra leap
> second just before we  launched, and none after that.  Partly luck, of
> course.

I found this:
<http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/pubs/bulletin/leapsecond.htm>

It doesn't have any information about future leap seconds beyond the
announcement that there wouldn't be one at the end of June 2005. In
general I don't believe we get more than six months' notice of them.

I daresay you were lucky with your project: they could have announced
another leap second two or three years after your product was released.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA