Time Libraries Rough Draft

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 10 07:19:55 EST 2005

On 10 February 2005 12:12, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

> Seth Kurtzberg <seth at cql.com> writes:
>
>> The simple fact that UTC time is not monotonically increasing causes
>> a whole host of difficulties.
>
> And the simple fact that obtaining TAI from systems in use requires
> periodic updates of the leap second table causes other difficulties.

This is a vitally important bit of rationale which has emerged from the
current discussion.  I certainly didn't fully appreciate the
difficulties with basing the library on TAI before, and I imagine others
won't too.  I think it's important that we clearly state this rationale
in the docs for the new library.

Cheers,
	Simon