required fields in Cabal

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 06:47:25 EST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:56:08PM -0800, Isaac Jones wrote:
> * What any good package should have:
> 	package (name and version) :: PackageIdentifier,
>         license        :: License,
> -- OR?
>         licenseFile    :: FilePath,
>         copyright      :: String,
>         maintainer     :: String,
> 	synopsis       :: String,
>
> Personally, I think it should be an error if any of these fields are
> missing.  I think I'll go implement that now.  Stop me if you object.

I think license-file (for which you give a warning) is more important
than copyright: it tells a user what they can use the package for.
I'm not suggesting that license-file be required, just that copyright
shouldn't be.  Indeed public domain works have no copyright.

And what about packages that are unmaintained?